Popular Posts

Thursday 19 December 2013

One Chance


This review may contain spoilers.

Okay so it's not the best film out this year but I personally loved it, maybe because the ultimate message meant quite a bit to me. I would personally rate this film 7/10.

One Chance was a very British film in regards to it's story's pacing and the sorts of comedy within the story itself. I think the character development of Paul Potts was brilliant, a real life rollercoaster of moments in time all building up to this outcome of success. All the opera performances were heartwarming and beautiful. I think in this film we as an audience found a true everyday kind of guy achieving his dreams and that is the best kind of message in the type of society we live in today I personally think.

I think James Corden as Paul Potts was a brilliant casting choice, Corden plays the average kind of guy flawlessly in that you can relate to him so easily. In opposition to that Mackenzie Crook as manager and best friend, Braddon, is so outlandish and full of comedic value; he became such a loveable and valuable member of this cast. Finally I have to commend Colm Meaney as Roland Potts, we had to dislike him for so much of the film but that made him so much easier to fall in love with when he supported his son at the very end of the film, a moment I genuinely loved.

However this film seriously suffered in that it felt like a television movie, I didn't really understand why it got a cinema release. There was also some periods of this film where the pacing got quite slow and dull and the tone got very repetitive.

I also have a big gripe about this film in that it had weak female characters. I hate a film that doesn't have a good strong female character, I think there's always room for a major female character. Alexandra Roach, who played Julie-Ann Cooper AKA Paul pott's wife, was thoroughly disappointing, becoming completely set on making Paul attain his dream and ultimately came across as inferior to him which ruined some of the more genuine moments of love between the pair. I also am disappointed to say that Julie Walters, who played Yvonne Potts, was barely used in this film and took a backseat to Meaney, which I personally felt was a waste of talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment