Popular Posts

Sunday 15 December 2013

Thor: The Dark World review


This review may contain spoilers.

Okay so Marvel basically can do no wrong, just add a new big name actor to each new film and they've basically nailed it. For me Thor: The Dark World was definitely a 7.5/10.

I personally felt this built on the world that Marvel is making perfectly. I mean we finally have a second infinity gem stone thing, we got Loki's storyline going some interesting places, Thor's on Earth more now or at least that's how I interpreted the ending. It all felt so absolutely big, but managed to maintain Thor as a stand alone film despite everything we got with the Avengers. Although we still got plenty of amazing references: Loki's imprisonment, Selvig having gone bonkers and let's not forget the Captain America cameo. The humour within this film was superb and just made it really light and cheerful, despite some of the heavier scenes and ideas this film had. Also the music done by Brian Tyler is brilliant, just simply moving.

As far as cast went it's perfect. Chris Hemsworth was the perfect choice for Thor and he plays every single aspect of the character well. Tom Hiddleston once again stole the show, I did feel like he wasn't in it as much as he could have been but I can't complain. Natalie Portman was actually alright in this one which is always good, I think the feeling of being alien in this fantasy world was better on her than her being the fantasy world like the first one consisted of. Sir Anthony Hopkins brought some beautiful scenes as Odin, his 'fight to the last Asgardian breath' gets me every time. Ray Stevenson is a brilliant Volstagg, I wish we got more depth to his character but he always brings his gruff but loveable character to every scene strongly. Rene Russo pulled the heartstrings as Frigga truly, I loved the heart she brought to this film no matter how fleeting that was. Kat Dennings is gorgeous and funny and perhaps the greatest female actress in the Thor saga rivalled only by the aforementioned Russo. I also loved Christopher Eccleston as Malekith, even if I couldn't tell it was him, he was a dark powerful creature who clearly dominated as a new villain, even if he was fairly cookie cutter light vs dark type villain. My two favourite actors of this film had to be Idris Elba and Stellan Skarsgard. Idris Elba as Heimdall was just inspiring and powerful with just that controlled concentrated energy Elba brings to the role so well. Stellan Skarsgard as Erik Selvig however was my favourite thing, he played someone who had gone insane but had retained enough sanity to figure out how to save the day and then at the very end he saves Thor and Jane. Selvig is the best hands down.

Now to get critical.

As much as I love the Marvel films this felt like they were playing it very safe. A lot of comedy some emotional stuff around Loki and a very clear bad vs good storyline. I think it worked but it's getting repetitive I gotta admit. I also disliked how this film started, it felt like a tv show introducing each key character after what happened last episode. I don't know why the start had been put together like that but it was very basic and not the best choice for a big budget Marvel blockbuster.

I also have some actor gripes; three to be precise. Tadanobu Asnao was cast aside like his character meant nothing which annoyed me. He's part of The Warriors Three so he deserved to be in the entire film alongside Fandral and Volstagg. I also disliked the new actor for Fandral, Zachary Levi. He was cheesy and over the top, I don't think the man should be doing a fantasy role because I was not sold on it. Lastly I don't understand all the hype around Jaimie Alexander's Lady Sif. Alexander play a weak female role with no real background, is sucked into some weak attempt at a love triangle and then follows the male protagonist like a blind puppy for the rest of it. I think she's a good actress and has the potential for more but it's not well recognised here.

No comments:

Post a Comment