Popular Posts

Monday 2 December 2013

Gravity


This review may contain spoilers.

I truly wish I had seen this film in 3D, because if I had maybe I would have been a little bit more impressed. Gravity for me was a 6.5/10.

Gravity is a revolutionary film...when it comes to special effects and cinematography. Honestly in this film we see where CGI and effects technology has developed in that we get a convincing and realistic portrayal of what outer space is like. It's beautiful really, but also haunting and terrifying. Further commendation must go to the musical score of this film, it's just a serenade of emotional journey.

And that's probably where my praise starts falling short. I dislike this movie, let's be very clear on that point. This film had a very simple plot, with corny dialogue and two characters, one of which was a two dimensional character. This is a very basic survivalist film, just in a new skin. And if I wanted to hear corny dialogue in space I would watch a little classic Star Trek over this. And as to George Clooney's character of Matt Kowalski I found him to be nothing but a lazy plot device to give Sandra Bullock's character of Ryan Stone a motivator for character development.

Despite his poor character George Clooney was by far the better actor in this film. Clooney owned every scene he was in, providing a whimsical charm and a cocky charismatic man. However Sandra Bullock was fine but by no means was she a good choice for this role. I got tired of hearing her make noise and barely deliver something that was interesting acting. Very disappointing, but what I expected from the queen of rom coms.

No comments:

Post a Comment