Popular Posts

Monday 17 March 2014

Dallas Buyers Club


This review may contain spoilers.

This was a very confronting film, but absolutely one that was just brilliantly executed. I would give Dallas Buyers Club an 8/10.

This movie had an incredible story and a very accurate script, I thought the way they did the issue of AIDS discovery, gender identity and expression, gay rights, all within the spacing of  1985 Dallas, Texas. More than that the camera work in this film is damn good, just a brilliant display of how a film should look visually.

Matthew McConaughey, who play Ron Woodroof, was an absolutely brilliant actor in this, though utterly despicable even if he did redeem himself somewhat. Jennifer Garner, who played Eve, was brilliant; such a strong and feisty character. Jared Leto, who played Rayon, was definitely my favourite; she had such a strong moral compass and for once wasn't a queer character portrayed in a stereotypical nature and I had a lot of respect for that.

This movie was offensive and had some very irredeemable things about it so I guess while I could pretend it was realistic, it also pushed the envelope with what it could get away with at times.

Denis O'Hare, who played Dr. Sevard, was thoroughly uninteresting and basically repeated the same dialogue a lot. Steve Zahn, who played Tucker, was a morally ambiguous character and I wasn't sure if he was a good person at the end or not. Michael O'Neill, who played Richard Barkley, was a very weak antagonist and just did not intimidate me as a viewer at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment