Popular Posts

Tuesday 25 February 2014

Saving Mr Banks


This review may contain spoilers.

This is a wonderful display of fantastic acting and story development, and let's be honest it's important to the inner child in us. Saving Mr Banks for me was an 8.5/10.

I loved the way this story took such care to give us brilliant backstory but kept the audience invested in the present day storyline. I felt the pacing in this film was great, in fact the movie progressed perfectly. The music, or the reference of such was great to see unfold. I really liked the sets and costume as well, they placed you in the varying time periods nicely.

Emma Thompson, who played P.L. Travers, was remarkably witty and brought such varying degrees of emotional highs and lows to her character that I couldn't help but be on her side. Tom Hanks, who played Walt Disney, was admittedly underused but in every scene he was in he absolutely owned the role. B.J. Novak, who played Robert Sherman, and Jason Schwartzman, who played Richard Sherman, were both great but once again felt a little underused for all the talent they had. Colin Farrell, who played Travers Goff, was one of my favourite actors in the film because he had such heart to him.

Above all else I really need to have high praise for Paul Giamatti, who played Ralph. He embodied what a disney film is all about, the optimism and the light hearted way of being. He was everything I liked in a character, and in a person I would run into in life.

I didn't like the concept of this film, I found it bland and very neutral even though controversy exists around the subject. I also felt P.L. Travers crying at the end was very out of character.

Annie Rose Buckley, who played Ginty, wasn't a very good child actress and who never really changed her mood at all. I also didn't like Bradley Whitford, who played Don DaGradi, as he had very little screen presence in his scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment