Popular Posts

Wednesday 12 February 2014

Robocop


This review may contain spoilers.

I went into this film with some rather low expectations and I was surprised by how much I wound up enjoying it. I would give Robocop a 7/10.

Just so we're clear I haven't seen the first Robocop so I didn't go in trying to draw comparisons, this means I may have missed references but also some people might dislike the movie because it doesn't live up to the original. The actions scenes in this were incredibly cool and very well laid out. The effects that complimented this were wonderful as well, very clever. I thought that the cinematography looked great, it added to the tone of the overall film. The story was also brilliant, it had some close analysis of free will and America today which I thought was brilliant to see unfold. I also think the pacing was brilliant, it never felt like it dragged.

Joel Kinnaman, who played Alex Murphy, is an edgy review because the first act of the film his acting sucked but he was great to see for the rest of it, he might not have seemed a lead but I'm not convinced he was meant to be. Gary Oldman, who played Dr. Dennett Norton, deserves the title of the best actor in this film I believe, he stole the show in a big way. Michael Keaton, who played Raymond Sellars, was quite a funny villain but a strong convincing one to watch. Samuel L. Jackson, who played Pat Novak, was just a great role; I mean it was such a stereotypical Jackson role that I couldn't help but laugh at all of his scenes. I was also a secret fan of Jackie Earle Haley, who played Rick Mattox, such a cold villain with my favourite scene of the film in which he plays the Tin Man's song from Wizard of Oz.

This movie turned to stereotype in places and it never took big risks, it had a very safe plot which means it was never going to get higher than what I've reviewed it as.

I didn't like Abbie Cornish, who played Clara Murphy, she was bland and very two dimensional and didn't add to the film as much as she should have. I also thought Michael K. Williams, who played Jack Lewis, was incredibly underrated and underused.

No comments:

Post a Comment