Popular Posts

Monday 29 February 2016

A Review Of The Oscars 2016


This review will announce news surrounding the Oscars so be warned, also the following is very much my opinion versus my normal reviews so be aware of that.


So before I go any further I will be providing a list of categories that I won't be discussing which are: Best Foreign Language Film, Best Documentary - both feature and short subject, Best Live Action and Animated Short Film and Best Visual Effects. This is because I have not seen the films Son Of Saul, Amy, A Girl In The River: The Price Of Forgiveness, Stutterer, Bear Story and Ex Machina.


I will rank the Award's that have been given as:

  • Agree
  • Neutral
  • Disagree
 So without further ado a critique of the 88th Academy Awards...

Best Film Editing: Mad Max: Fury Road (Disagree)


This one is a tough call for me because I love Mad Max: Fury Road and I thought the editing within it was great, it really aided the hectic pace of the film. Frankly Mad Max does beat out most of the nominees in this pool but there is one that I thought was the obvious victor: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens. Now Star Wars really did boast some of the best editing I've seen and really knew how to create a phenomenal flow to the film as well as paying homage to the original Star Wars films with certain transitions. Ultimately Mad Max won this award because it is more of an 'Academy' film than that of Star Wars.


Best Costume Design: Mad Max: Fury Road (Disagree)


Mad Max: Fury Road had a some really unique displays of costuming in this film, the style of the various factions in this film as well as the two main characters of Max and Furiosa look incredible. But it certainly wasn't the strongest feat of costuming out of these nominees. In fact for me there was really one that stood out which was Cinderella. I loved Branagh's depiction of Cinderella and I have read many articles of how much time and effort was put into blue dress that the Fairy Godmother gives Cinderella in the film. It's one item that blows Mad Max out of the water in my opinion.


Best Makeup And Hairstyling: Mad Max: Fury Road (Agree)


I loved the hair and makeup design in Mad Max: Fury Road, it showed great creativity. The particular work upon the War Boys and Immortan Joe really impressed me however there were several characters in the background that looked great and part of this post-apocalyptic film. There hair and makeup added a barbaric extra edge to the end of the world.


Best Cinematography: The Revenant (Neutral)


This is a hard call for me, I love the cinematography in The Revenant it's probably the best quality of that film. The shots are beautiful and even majestic, the camera stays with the action for as long as possible and is something I'd like to see in other films. However I also thought Mad Max: Fury Road had a great visual style and really deserved recognition in this capacity as well. All I can say is that if i were an Anacademy voter this one would have been tough to call for me.


Best Production Design: Mad Max: Fury Road (Agree)


I think this one comes as no surprise to anyone though not to discredit the amazing work that took place in George Miller's post-apocalyptic epic. The vehicles and locations that exist in this film were functioning elements and a return to practical effects and sets. In my opinion this award had no competition as it was destined to be in the hands of Mad Max: Fury Road.


Best Sound Mixing: Mad Max: Fury Road (Disagree)


Sound mixing is a tricky award to understand and award so here's how best I'll describe it: sound mixing is the recording of natural noise onset as well as the balancing of sounds within the film. Mad Max: Fury Road generated a lot of great sound and it was one of the most interesting films to listen to but it didn't deserve this award. The Revenant in my opinion deserved this award a lot more for it's great use of natural sound as well as how well the sound was balanced.


Best Sound Editing: Mad Max: Fury Road (Disagree)


Sound editing is the award for generated sound as well as how the sounds of the film are pieced together. Once again Mad Max: Fury Road offered some incredible sounds in this capacity and really stood out in this category but it didn't deserve to win. The obvious choice in my opinion was Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens. Just imagine how much painstaking effort was put in by the Star Wars team to create such an incredibly masterful film with a diverse range when it came to sound design.


Best Original Song: 'Writing's On The Wall' From Spectre (Agree)


When your competitors are from 50 Shades Of Grey and a whole horde of miscellaneous films that no one watched it's not hard to see why Sam Smith won this. I have to admit I really enjoyed the song itself and I think he really set himself apart as one of the singers who will be remembered for their efforts towards the James Bond franchise. I still am deeply perturbed by the weird hentai looking music video from Spectre.


Best Original Score: The Hateful Eight (Disagree)


Yes I get it you need to give Quentin Tarentino something or he might start crying and give up directing films but honestly The Hateful Eight did not deserve any awards at all. I am baffled how Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens did not win this. John Williams returned to the most memorable franchise to date and created a wonderful score that hearkened back to his original numbers alongside some brilliant new pieces.


Best Animated Feature Film: Inside Out (Disagree)


I loved Inside Out almost as much as the next person but honestly I'm so tired of Disney winning just because they're the Disney film. The real winner of this category in my personal opinion should have been Shaun The Sheep Movie which was a fantastic return to claymation alongside a really fun and family friendly script with a range of humour that would have appealed to all ages.


Best Adapted Screenplay: The Big Short (Agree)


As much as I loved The Martian I have to say The Big Short deserved this award. The critique of American big banks as well as that of the recession itself was a really enlightening journey. This script was funny but it was tragic and while you were entertained there was nothing short of horror felt by the whole audience at the end of the film.


Best Original Screenplay: Spotlight (Agree)


This film is one of my favourites and really displayed an intelligent script. This film is gripping and engaging and really unveils the horrors inflicted upon people by members of the Catholic church. I really enjoyed the witty dialogue but also the emotionally intense scenes this plot managed to confront the audience with. Spotlight will leave you questioning everything.

Best Supporting Actress: Alicia Vikander (Disagree)


I love Vikander as an actress and she is one of the best performers within The Danish girl but she simply wasn't worthy of this award and really The Danish Girl didn't deserve any nominations at all. There were two other performances far better than that of Vikander's. Kate Winslet in Steve Jobs was incredible and a true powerhouse against Michael Fassbender. the other performance and probably the one that should have won was Rachel McAdams in Spotlight; McAdams brought forth an investigative journalist who really connected with the issue of the film and displayed empathy while remaining detached.


Best Supporting Actor: Mark Rylance (Disagree)


Bridge Of Spies wasn't that good no matter how great Tom Hanks and Mark Rylance performed, like The Danish Girl and The Hateful Eight there shouldn't have been any awards for this film. Immediately I have to wonder how Christian Bale didn't win for his socially awkward trust fund manager in The Big Short, or how Tom Hardy's sadistic violent role in The Revenant didn't get an award. The real steal here though? Mark Ruffalo in Spotlight who deserved numerous awards for his hard hitting journalist in Spotlight, there were scenes of that film that will be etched in my brain forever due to Ruffalo.


Best Actress: Brie Larson (Agree)


Larson seemed to me to be the obvious choice for this category, her work in Room was incredible. The range of emotion she showed in this film is enough to make anyone burst into tears. I think the work that brie Larson did to show what it is like to be trapped, to be raped and to never really feel free all while portraying a mother is what has really set the bar for actresses for this coming year.


Best Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio (Disagree)


Yes, yes Leo won an Oscar, good job. The question is did he deserve it? No, not at all. Absolutely for Wolf Of Wall Street or Django Unchained Or Inception or heck even Gatsby! But The Revenant? No not really. Michael Fassbender did better work playing Steve Jobs than DiCaprio did playing Hugh Glass. Ultimately the actor who deserved to win this award was Matt Damon for The Martian. Damon presented a fun charismatic character that was alone for most of the film and made it one of the best experiences I had last year. very similar to DiCaprio except Damon presented more of a character than DiCaprio brought to the party.


Best Director: Alejandro G. Inniratu (Disagree)


This film is a visual masterpiece and shows a great deal of control from it's director to make a truly stand out film, but it just doesn't feel like the right call to me. Adam McKay did better work in The Big Short creating a fast paced comedic telling of the economic recession. Tom McCarthy who directed Spotlight might not have had the most visual film but his direction to his actors and how scenes should play out felt very clear in his film. But it should have been George Miller's award. Mad Max: fury road was an onslaught of pracitcal effects, stunning visuals and performance all masterfully put together by Miller in a film that easily overshadows Innaritu's.


Best Picture: Spotlight (Agree)



As I said earlier Spotlight shed light upon an issue that is so globally enormous that it needed to be told and I don't think it could have been told better. this won't go down as the most visually impressive film of all time but it has one of the strongest plots, ensemble performances and themes that I've seen in a film this year. Spotlight is a film that was against the odds and I'm so glad it made it's mark at the Oscars.   


No comments:

Post a Comment