Popular Posts

Tuesday 22 April 2014

The Lego Movie


This review may contain spoilers!

A good end does not qualify a good movie as I learnt from watching The Lego Movie. I would give the Lego Movie a 6.5/10.

The Lego Movie had a brilliant end, and I'm not just meaning the reference to Duplo. It showed that the entire film was the imagination of a child, it explored how imagination is too easily confined this day and age and it explored the father/son bond which is always a great theme. The movie was also well paced and the music was very fresh and added to the themes of conformity and society which I liked. Overall the film had great concept and thought to it.

Elizabeth Banks, who voiced Lucy, was a wonderful leading actress, I genuinely thought she had such an edge to her and yet when she had to seem vulnerable the shift in her mood was so incredibly significant. Morgan Freeman, who voiced Vitruvius, was in his element' it felt like he was playing with the character; I got flashes of Bruce Almighty and Last Vegas from that voice acting. Liam Neeson, who voiced Good Cop/Bad Cop, had such a tricky role to make consistently great and he nailed it; this was a bona fide antagonist with such a tragic moment in the film' I also never believed he voiced Good Cop till I saw the credit myself. Nick Offerman, who voiced Metal Beard, could very easily have been a lame generic pirate but he became intriguing and he had a phenomenal backstory.

Will Ferrell, who voiced Lord Business and played The Man Upstairs, was just simply great; he played off caring and loving father blinded by his lack of imagination just as well as the corny humourous antagonist of the film.

The animation in this film was terrible, it actually felt like the video game animation would have looked better. When I sat down and watched this movie I could feel myself being disappointed by how basic the film looked in places. Also the entire film was lined with awful humour and the dialogue treated the film like a movie purely for children. I also could not stand the Emmet/Lucy/Batman love triangle it was weak and it wasn't worth the time it took up.

Will Arnett, who voiced Batman, can applaud himself because he made me dislike one of my favourite comic book characters of all time, Arnett was not made to voice Batman and he never should again. Alison Brie, who voiced Unikitty, was weird and felt like something you come up with whilst on a drug induced high, I absolutely hated this character. Charlie Day, who voiced Benny, had the most annoying voice of the cast and the most predictable plot point of the film. Chris Pratt, who voiced Emmet Brickowoski, was just lame, he was such a standard hero and I'm tired of Pratt being the go to everyday guy in films; it's a tired choice and character.

No comments:

Post a Comment