Popular Posts

Thursday 9 January 2014

Philomena


This review may contain spoilers!

Okay after Alan Partridge I basically trashed Steve Coogan as a leading man and this is the film that is going to make me contract what I said. I believe Philomena was a 6.5/10.

Philomena is quite a short film so pacing was never much of an issue, it was a fairly consistent film. The story itself about this woman trying to find her son who she was forced to give away when she was younger due to the system of the Irish Catholic church was fascinating and a part of history I had never considered. This film also analysed religion in a way I think should be commended, I think that was a splendid way to show such conflicting views towards religion.

Steve Coogan was great in this film as Martin Sixsmith, and let's not forget he wrote and produced this film, it was a wonderful display of narcissism turning to a true heartfelt care for someone. Judi Dench, who played Philomena, was the true star of the show with an unwavering moral compass and a true degree of wit that could only come from such an inspired character. I also have to commend Sophie Kennedy Clark, who played Young Philomena, for being such a wonderful young actress in what was a very unique and difficult role to play. Barbara Jefford, who played Sister Hildegarde, was only a small role but in the time onscreen became an antagonist I truly despised and is a face to religion I don't agree with at all.

What I dislike about this movie is that it feels like something you'd watch air straight to tv, there wasn't much to it all things considered. The plot also didn't have many ups and downs so I found myself kinda just feeling the same amount of tension throughout.

I also was annoyed that they had such a great actress like Michelle Fairley and completely underused her as a very minor sort of antagonist.

No comments:

Post a Comment