Popular Posts

Thursday 19 September 2013

Red 2


So as always there may be some spoilers ahead.

Red 2 is a thoroughly lazy plot carried on the shoulders of an amazing cast. I personally give it a 6/10 overall.

As far as plot goes when it comes to Red 2 it has a fantastic sense of comedy, in fact that is one of the few good things about this film's plot. Every scene had a great piece of comedy that kept me awake and even managed to make me laugh from time to time.

However the most redeeming thing about this film was it's cast. John Malkovich, in the role of Marvin, brought a lot of the humour to the film as well as acting as the moral compass of the film. I also really enjoyed Mary-Louise Parker, in the role of Sarah, she was adventurous and a bit naive however I felt like I was seeing the film through her eyes as she was the sort of character that dealt with things in a way that the 'normal' person would. Another actor who carried this film was Byung-hun Lee, in the role of Han Cho Bai, who basically brought some of the best action fight scenes to the film and who was also one of the most malicious rogue agents on screen. My personal favourite for this film will always be Helen Mirren, in the role of Victoria, who was a character that had elegance, she had wit and she probably had some of my favourite action sequences.

However Red 2 was by no stretch a good film. The plot was predictable, there were no unexpected twists at all. Anthony Hopkins was always going to be the villain, no trailer could fool me on that count. To make matters worse the plot was dull and it confused the character's interests. Frank, played by Bruce Willis, seemed to even almost cheat on his current girlfriend with his ex Katja, played by Catherine Zeta-Jones.

As far as some of the acting went it wasn't all great. My first major problem was that they replaced someone as great as Karl Urban with Neal McDonough; who was bland and not even much of a villain, more of a sideshow entertainment. Secondly I know Bruce Willis is pulling all the rubbish movies into his CV at the moment but frankly he just seems tired, and while he can still do a good action scene his other scenes did not interest me one bit. Lastly Anthony Hopkins really disappointed me in this film, his action scenes looked fake and he didn't do anything with his acting that I hadn't already seen half a dozen times before.

No comments:

Post a Comment